J. F. Edwards Construction Company (JFECC) is currently seeking a Safety Manager with the ability to interact with a variety of staff at all levels in an ever-changing environment, remaining flexible, resourceful, proactive and efficient with a high level of professionalism and confidentiality. The Safety Manager will work to implement a zero injury safety program throughout the company and ensure a safe work environment for all employees and other personnel that may visit or work any JFECC job site or facility.
Under the direction of the President, the Safety Manager is responsible for implementing, tracking, and monitoring the company environmental/safety programs and policies to ensure compliance with federal, state, and local environmental, health and safety regulations; monitor environmental and industrial compliance and maintain liaison with appropriate regulatory agencies. They must have the ability to interact with a variety of staff at all levels in an ever-changing environment, remaining flexible, resourceful, proactive and efficient with a high level of professionalism and confidentiality. The Safety Manager will work to implement a zero injury safety program at project sites throughout the company and ensure a safe work environment for all employees and other personnel that may visit or work at the job site. They will interact directly with Superintendents, Foremen and other employees and make frequent and regular visits to job sites. They should also proactively recommend continuous improvement and corrective actions where needed and manage data collection activities and analysis to support problem solving and organizational requirements.
- Organization, flexibility, electrical knowledge, outstanding customer focus and strong communication are critical in performing duties which include, but are not limited to:
- Implement and administer safety program at each job site for all employees:
- Assist management team and site management in developing and executing site specific safety program and activities
- Coordinate, conduct, and implement safety orientation and training programs;
- Document and track all safety violations, unsafe conditions, etc. companywide;
- Conduct, implement, and coordinate job site, shop, warehouse, and corporate office safety audits to ensure company and regulatory requirements are being met and report findings to management team.
- Conduct or assist with major incident investigation and analysis;
- Record, monitor, and analyze safety, injury and hazard statistics;
- Coordinate OSHA reporting and posting requirements;
- Manage and assist with onsite injury management and worker’s compensation case management;
- Monitor return to work and modified duty assignments;
- Assist with the organization and implementation of project safety celebrations and recognition/reward programs
- Participate in and contribute to project planning and hazard analysis
- Provide resource of safety related information:
- Evaluate and offer solutions for industrial hygiene concerns;
- Maintain operational knowledge of construction safety, OSHA, ANSI, and other applicable standards, regulations, laws, and procedures;
- Serve as resource for safety issues or concerns for all JFECC employees;
- Interface with customer safety personnel, union representatives, insurance risk engineers etc.;
- Accompany safety, health, insurance and OSHA personnel on work-site tours as requested;
- Ensure maintenance and inspection of safety equipment and protective wear;
- Maintain project site Personal Protective Equipment (PPE) and assist the management team with the management of the company safety budget and project safety needs;
- Effectively communicate all safety programs by partnering with management team, superintendents, general foremen, and other employees;
- Maintain and report on safety metrics and statistics, reporting to management team on a weekly basis;
- Provide analysis of trends/data and provide recommendations to management team and other leaders for follow-up and action;
- Oversee and enforce compliance with all OSHA, federal, state and local laws, ordinances, and regulations and maintain compliance with DOT regulations;
- Review internal health and safety programs, procedure, and policies to ensure they are current, appropriate, and documented;
- Conduct serious accident investigations and partner with insurance carriers to manage claims;
- Work with management team, site Superintendents and Foremen to manage and reduce workers compensation claims and ensure appropriate return to work, work transfer, and fit for duty programs;
- Manage accident investigation and reporting programs to minimize and prevent recurrence of recordable incidents and to ensure information on recordable incidents are shared adequately across all locations and revise the procedure as appropriate;
- Keep abreast of new and existing relevant laws, rules and regulations, and takes actions appropriate to ensure timely compliance and communication to appropriate divisions/departments.
- Performs other related duties as assigned.
Required Skills, Education or Experience:
- At least 3-5 years of progressive experience in safety within the construction industry;
- Ability to travel over 75% of the time;
- Willingness to relocate to Geneseo, IL;
- Excellent interpersonal skills and proven experience building relationships;
- Thorough knowledge of environmental, safety, DOT, and OSHA regulations and compliance;
- Detail oriented; sufficient to manage multiple priorities, projects and tasks;
- Strong verbal and written communication skills;
- Positive, professional attitude; strong customer service skills;
- Strong teamwork orientation, problem solving, initiative, and leadership skills;
- Current driver’s license with good driving record;
- Effective public speaking and presentation skills;
- Proficient skills with a computer and Microsoft Word, Outlook, Excel, and PowerPoint;
Preferred Skills, Education or Experience:
- Utility and high voltage electrical safety experience highly valued
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent required industrial health & safety, safety engineering, risk management or safety management.
Additional Preferred Qualifications:
Certification or ability to become certified in the following is required: OSHA 10, OSHA30, OSHA 500 Train-the-Trainer, OSHA 510, Fall Protection, Hazard Communication, First Aid/CPR & AED, Excavation, Trenching, Shoring, Flagger, Confined Space, Scaffold, Crane Safety, Rigging & Signaling, Lock Out/ Tag Out.
Please send a cover letter that includes your salary requirements and your resume to email@example.com.
J.F. Edwards Construction promotes a drug/alcohol-free work environment through the use of mandatory pre-employment drug testing and ongoing random drug testing.
Women, Veterans, and Minorities encouraged to apply. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability or genetics. In addition to federal law requirements,
JFECC complies with applicable state and local laws governing nondiscrimination in employment in every location in which the company has facilities. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation and training.